9.22.2006

Breakfast matters

This morning, like every morning, I brought my trusty oatmeal raisin breakfast-on-the-go to work. Don't know why I never tried this before - the package said to try zapping it for 10 seconds in the microwave for warm oatmeal raisin goodness, and it sounded really yummy. So I stuck it in the oven in the office's kitchenette, and set it for 10 seconds. Beep! Pop crinkle fizzle. Fearing the worst, I stopped the oven and yanked the door open, hoping to save my breakfast from anything untoward before too late. Alas, I already was too late. What a sight - the wrapper had clung to the poor cookie like it was vacuum-packed, and the sorry block of toxic oatmeal looked like a piece of purple tempeh. Grudgingly, I tossed it out, and with that moment of stupidity, I gave up breakfast. (Edit: In small font on the back, packet read "Remove from wrapper." Me dumbass.)

I know starving in the morning does evil things to one's metabolism, but somehow, because I missed breakfast, I felt vindicated in scarfing down a giant sandwich at lunch. Dinner was at Spice Island Tea House, where I had pad thai and raspberry wheat beer (tasty!). After that, we made a pit stop at Dave & Andy's for choc chip cookie dough ice-cream. Confession: I have not had a lick of ice-cream for over a month. Oh, the humanity. I had forgotten how sinfully good it was. Calorific, too.

After being a pig all day, I was determined to bike for 1.5 hours tonight, an extra 30 minutes for good measure to expunge the extra calories I acquired from my delinquency. I couldn't even do that - after only 50 minutes, I started winding down cos I was getting bored. (To do: find better work-out distraction than TV.)

Moral of the day: Never go without breakfast.

No comments: