11.19.2005

Hold your breath - 'Tis the season

A few weeks ago when I turned on the radio, I sensed.. change. Radio jingles jingled, Bing Crosby found his way into the rock station's songlist. It was oh so subtle - the radio stations knew it was naughty, like a kid tiptoeing towards the cookie jar when Mommy wasn't looking. People haven't even finished their Halloween candy yet. Still, radio stations joined dozens of stores in their defection to that feel-good season and blatantly ignored the fact that November has its own section in the calendar.

Today, in some freak phenomena, for a few brief minutes every station I tuned to was playing Christmas music. Not simply big band jazz kind of songs, but "Santa is coming" kind of songs.

Here's a PSA for all radio stations out there: It's not even Turkey Day yet, please lay off the Christmas music. I'm aware that the spirit of the season is in the air, and I know there has been snowflake sightings. But unfortunately snow != Christmas. Malls at least have to rehearse for Black Friday, but you have no good reason. Now knock it off - for one more week.

In exciting news, I can see my breath today. :) A little disconcerting, because I don't think I'm ready for it to be this cold yet, but change is good. I need to winterize my wardrobe - my stringy two-piece is still sitting in the dresser waiting for a summer fling. Another item on the to-do list is have people over and break in the brand spankin' new fondue pot. Fondue and spiked hot chocolate could be so very good.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The 'new' thing in gift-giving is the gift of experience. Carnival's marketing department has their heads in the right place. Books, sweaters and toys are cliché, jewelry is passé, and every other bloke already has an iPod. People are spending on trips and 'novel' experiences, like bungee jumping, dance lessons, a few days at a spa resort, an omikase at Morimoto, whatever. Apparently, among the list of holiday gifts available for purchase now are a New Zealand wine adventure for 2 (price tag: $48,000), a private concert for 500 friends with Sir Elton John (price tag: $1.5 million), even a trip to space (price tag: $5 million). [link]

While it's neat, fun, and different, personally I think it's cheating to give someone a thin little piece of paper at Christmas and say their real gift is on its way, no matter how grand it is. Especially when everyone's gathered around a tree opening box after box - you can't help but look at cousin Sue's doggie-print toe socks with green eyes. What you can only play with tomorrow, you cannot play today. Any other day, though, I'd take Morimoto over toe socks.

Anyway - I haven't even thought about gifts yet. Haven't really thought about what I want either. I might want a book. Or a sweater. Or a toy.

No comments: