8.09.2006

Old

Birthdays are overrated. It's supposed to be just one day that passes like any other, fleeting and unnoticed, but happens to be the anniversary of your birth. Milestone birthdays are the worst, because all of a sudden you are obligated to reflect on the past x years of your life, despite the fact that it's no different than yesterday or tomorrow. You're forced to remember how old you actually are, to pause and think about it and let it sink in.

Still, cakes are a perk. People buy you drinks. And if you tell your cranky ole' neighbor that it's your birthday, she might actually be a little nicer to you. Maybe.

I had a low-key celebration with my two leading men, bro and hubby. We went out to a nice dinner (E managed to embarrass me with cake and a sparkler), and hung out at the bookstore; got a copy of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's short stories. E is still mysterious about his gift, but I know it's a gizmo I wouldn't have gotten myself (camera accessories? new cell phone?). He promises it's not more RAM for my laptop. :) I got e-mails and phone calls, including a serenade, which was really touching. Kind of embarrassing too, because I'm not the type to remember birthdays and I sure don't know when their birthdays are. I'm a sucky friend.

Anyway, here's to lower car insurance rates and graduating into the next age bracket.

No comments: