8.20.2006

Worldly possessions ++

On Saturday I discovered that when given the chance, I'm just as likely to buy a pair of wide-leg pinstriped pants for work as I am to buy, oh, a bike. (The power of consumerism compels me!) No regrets, but I can't help feeling a little post-splurge guilt, and am dreading the next time I check my bank account. My justification is simply that I've thought about both for a long time, and there's no use dragging my feet any longer. Besides, the pants were on sale, and the longer I wait to get the bike, the more days of warm nice weather I will miss. (Although, I spied the trainers at the bike shop, which can come in handy during the winter.) The bike will even help me get in shape for the pants. Does it get better than that?

Number of dry clean only clothing I own: +1
Number of serious recreational purchases: +1

Unfortunately, I've to wait till the end of the week for my bike to arrive. In the meantime, I can look up every park and trail there is in the city.

--------------------------------

Lately I've been obsessed with bikes. I blame the bike fever on E's Ultimate teammate. We were invited to her housewarming party; she's a duathlon champ, and her rugged pro road bike hung on a rack in the house like a trophy, along with her boyfriend's. Her (deliciously hot German) boyfriend is also a serious rider, and partook in serious bike convos during the party. They were really into it. Her friends looked like models out of a fitness mag; they were in crazy good shape. Out of sheer coincidence and misfortune, I ended up being the fattest girl in the group. (I'm not obese - sure, I could lose a few pounds, but next to the girls, I felt like a whale.) After just a few minutes of hanging out with them, I had the sudden urge to bike. I wanted to be buff like them. I wanted to learn all about Shimano and Cinelli. I wanted to be able to talk to other bike enthusiasts about my speed and distance stats. I wanted to go on group rides around the city, parks, trails.

Thus the bike. Can't wait for it to come. E can't wait for the company. We'll be cheesy and have 'his' and 'hers' bike stuff. Psyched!

No comments: