11.06.2006

Brit humor and wine

Spent the weekend observing two different strains of brit humor, a la Sacha Baron Cohen and Rowan Atkinson. On Friday night, we had dinner with L and W at a hibachi grill, then watched Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. What a show - we walked out of it speechless. Between the grossly inaccurate portrayal of Kazakhstan to the raucous scene at the hotel (oh! my eyes!), I wasn't sure if it was possible for me to cringe and sink any deeper in my seat. If I had to pick a 'favorite' scene, it would be the bear on the ice-cream truck. That man has a gift for pissing off large crowds of people without being fazed even a bit. What a transformation from Ali G... and he's engaged to Isla Fisher! Brave woman - the thought of seeing Borat in his underpants... *shudder*

Saturday night, I vegged out on the couch and watched the entire 2nd season of Blackadder. It was okay - I had to experience the show after hearing so much about it. Like everyone else, I thought the Queen was a riot, and I can't wait to see Hugh Laurie as Prince George in the 3rd season.

---------------------------------

Had a low-key celebration of our dating anniversary by stocking up on booze at Stone Villa Wine Cellars, our local winery of choice for years. It was a good day.


Hardy evergreen by the little lake on the winery grounds


A small pier by the vineyard


The lake at dusk


I'm a horrible baker, but I mustered all my efforts and made a little surprise for E. It was almost a disaster, but I'm glad it turned out edible. :)


Happy anniversary, honey!

No comments: