11.27.2006

Gobble gobble

Pooped and dog tired, but figured I should mark the bloggie with a Thanksgiving recap.

Went to the in-laws' again, and had the turkey feast at dad-in-law's old colleague's up in Westmont. (It was really a test of willpower; it takes steely resolution to deny a second helping, even if you feel you're going to burst at the seams.) Like last year, I contributed a salad to dinner - just a classic Waldorf salad, nothing fancy, but I wanted an excuse to use the mango wood salad bowl set the hosts got us for our wedding. I wanted to give a little more than a lonely salad this year, so I added a mixed berry dish with mint-honey yogurt dressing for dessert, which I think ended up being more popular than the Waldorf. Our table at dinner was a riot; heard about a couple's adventures in Belo Horizonte, which fueled my unshakeable itch to visit that area (Brazil/Ecuador/Peru). Some day!

I skipped Black Friday entirely (*pat on my back*) and laughed while I read about the stampedes at the malls the next morning. Drove 4 hours west to spend Saturday and Sunday with C's family, old and new. When C and I were wee freshmen in college, I used to visit them all the time; now, with husbands and a baby, it was tres bizarre. Worlds collided. We stuffed our faces with incredible home-cooked food, cooed over Baby and played with puppies, huddled over board games and laughed over stories. C's sister didn't fly her dogs over from Texas, but her mum showed me little booties and a leopard print winter coat for her chihuahua. Ridiculous! Anyway, we had a great time and miss them sorely already.

Coming home to our little apartment in the city was a bummer, after what seemed like forever with a full house of family and friends. Still, nothing beats two warm kitties cuddling up to you and purring because they're happy to see you. :)

No comments: