3.14.2008

Interlude

Happy Pi Day!

I had lofty plans to write a long thought-provoking post, a masterpiece, but at 10.42pm this old kitty is sleepy. Now all I want to do is curl up in bed under the covers and knit. (My latest project is a giant heather grey bouclé blanket - it's great brainless activity, and now that it's big enough, I can even cuddle in it while knitting. Hurray!)

Sigh. Another rough week at work comes to a close, another slow lazy weekend begins. But this weekend is different; for one, the snow has turned to rain, signaling the beginning of spring. We saw a robin the other day. Thursday afternoon was a balmy 55 degrees F. It's known to snow even in May, but we're probably past the worst of it.

This weekend, I'll also be typing up my resignation letter. Yup, that's right! New job.

Inside, I'm still a little girl who's terrified at the idea of being a grownup. Responsibilities, expectations, consequences... I miss being a kid. You wake up, spend half the day immersing yourself in whatever fantasy world you dare to imagine, maybe do some chores and homework, and you almost always have someone to look out for you. If you wanted something, all you had to do was ask nicely.

Fast forward to today, as I'm hurtling towards the big three-oh. I wake up tired, spend half the day playing political games, work thanklessly, and nothing comes easily even if I ask nicely.

The only consolation I have is that everyone else goes through this rite of disorientation and disenchantment too, and we all learn from it.

Anyway. I'm excited and relieved - the on-again off-again job search was a learning experience. It was a lot of soul searching, and this new job still isn't the Dream Job... but it's one rung higher. The process made me realize how green I am - thank goodness for generous advice from mentors, new and old.

End of a chapter, beginning of a new one... and all that. Onward!

No comments: