3.20.2007

Recipe

Recipe
It's funny growing up in a polyglot household. My mum sent me a recipe for pineapple tarts (my childhood favorite, and now one of hubby's too) - it was originally published in Indonesian, but fearing my tenuous grasp of my mothertongue will cause a serious botch-up of the recipe, she translated it into my other mothertongue, even though she knows I'm going to translate it all into English anyway. (For the record, I fare reasonably well comprehending both languages, but I'd have to squint and pause for longer than I'd like. Success in a kitchen is all about expediency.)


Nastar (Pineapple Tarts)

Ingredients:
200g butter
3 egg yolks
50g powdered sugar
1 Tbs milk powder
250g plain all-purpose flour
25g corn flour
1/2 pineapple, crushed
100g sugar
2cm cinnamon stick
1 egg white, beaten

1. Cook the crushed pineapple until the liquid boils off. Stir in the sugar and cinnamon.
2. Mix the butter, powdered sugar, egg yolks, and milk powder until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the plain flour with the corn flour. Add the flour mixture evenly into the butter mixture, removing any lumps.
4. Using a spoon, roll the dough to form a cup and fill with the pineapple pulp mix. Seal into a ball and smooth the edges.
5. Grease and flour a baking pan. Place the tarts carefully in the pan and brush the tops with egg white. Bake for 20 minutes in 350 degrees F or until golden brown.

* Disclaimer: No responsibility shall be claimed for pineapple tarts gone wrong from any misinterpretation of the original recipe.

EDIT:
It came out great! Messy and a bit of a chore, but yummy. Corn flour = cornstarch. I reduced the amount of sugar, like I do with every recipe. The glazing doesn't quite work for me. Anyway, here it is...

Nastar

No comments: