7.02.2006

Kibbles 'n bits of randomness

I love warm summer nights. Sitting in bed with my laptop, the A/C humming, jazz playing, hubby typing away on his laptop...

* Been hooked on Firefly lately. Borrowed the DVD set from a friend, and we've been pacing ourselves with the episodes - only 2 or 3 a night, save the rest for the next day. We're down to the last 4 episodes now... sad. It's hard to understand why it only had one season - I mean, look at Stargate SG-1. Corny, plots are predictably about mind control or alternate dimensions, yet it's going on its 10th freakin' season. Firefly is so cool; the cast is great, the script is clever, the plots are fairly original, fun to watch, and I get a kick out of the random Chinese mutterings. Why no Firefly? :(

* E was on a business trip to VA, and as usual, his boss flew them in that little puddle-jumper of his. I've always been skeptical and a little disapproving (it's so small! looks unsafe). What's wrong with taking a commercial flight, like everybody else?

I arrived early when I went to the county airport to pick E up. Wandered around the parking lot, which was separated from the tarmac only by a low fence. The sun was setting, there was a gentle breeze, and the horizon was so... uncluttered. There were little planes parked nearby, but my view was mostly sky. Standing there, I felt so small, and it was such an amazingly refreshing and tranquil feeling. I would spot a light in a distance, and a few minutes later, a little jet would touch down gracefully on the runway. The powerful roar of the engine and the smell of jet fuel with that peaceful backdrop left quite an impression; no glass panes between me and the planes, like at big airports... just the sky, mini servings of brilliant engineering, and me. So damn cool.

Now, I guess I don't mind it as much when E flies on his boss' plane. And I totally understand why girls dig pilots.

* We bought a futon today! Finally. It's been a long time coming, and we're sick of patching up the sad, old, second-hand, cheap Ikea couch that's broken in 10 different places, with metal braces to hold it together. The metal braces look like bandaids. We've been hemming and hawing about getting a futon for months, and at last, even though we had no intention of buying or even hauling it back today, we did it. As we carried the 130 lb mattress to the car, people at al fresco cafes stared on like we'd just returned from a fishing expedition with a baby whale. The mattress and frame took a little brain-wracking (and sheer brute force) to stuff in the modest car. Afterwards, we celebrated with a little Italian ice from a place down the street. While we were getting gelati, I can't believe I actually worried that somebody would break in and grab the futon from the car, which was a block away, in broad daylight.

E: "I don't know who would be masochistic enough to steal a futon. I mean, he can't get very far... just look for the guy with a mattress on his back, hobbling down the street."

Ha! Picture that. And our futon was indeed safe.

* Not that this is news, but I love Pepper.


Furry ball of mischief and infinite cuteness


Baby and me


We recently put her on a weight management diet cos she's getting puffy. Still shedding like crazy. Since we came back from S'pore, even though she was in a friend's care, she would purr like a motorboat every time we came near her. It makes me fuzzy knowing that she missed us.

No comments: